I am the worst person at just committing to buying quality things, because we are on a tight budget and what I have “works” fine. This was the case with all my nursing bras up till now. I’ve found ones here and there for $5- $10 and they always stretch out and don’t support me very well. After Peter asked me 4 times if I could please just go and buy myself a nice one, I saw it was necessary to get rid of mine! So I set out to try the Cake Maternity Rock Candy nursing bra and have been really happy with it. Below is my experience!
This is a sponsored post and contains affiliate links. All experiences are my own and I actually bought one too.
This really is one basic nursing bra every new mom would love. When I tried it, I was looking for a nursing bra that had convertible straps, was nude color, comfy, had thick enough padding to catch milk drips. Well, this bra is all of those things.
First impression out of the box:
- It was similar in style to generic cheap-o nursing bras out of the box, but much nicer when I wore it. Nothing fancy looking though. After trying it on it looked smoother and felt higher quality than my $5-$10 bras.
- Metal hook and eye closures instead of cheap-o plastic like most other nursing bras. (My previous brand x bra had most of the plastic closures break off…twice)
- 6 size settings instead of the standard 3, meaning this bra would REALLY grow with you during and after pregnancy.
- Larger, rounded removable padding. All my other bras have had tiny round or triangular padding, that shifts all over the place. This Rock Candy bra had noticeably thicker, more rounded shape right off the bat. It is made that way to expand with your shape! My only issue is that when I’ve just nursed and am kind of smaller, the pads seem a tad big for the bra. That’s what I get for changing cup sizes during the day lol!
- Criss cross back. The straps are convertible, to go with racerback tops or regular. Soooo for me that means two bra styles for the price of one. Cha-Ching!
Thoughts after wearing it:
- My Cake Maternity Rock Candy nursing bra felt very supportive around my ribs. I wear a 32D and their size small fits that really well, but not on the loosest setting for me. I had to go to the 3rd tightest closure to smooth out the look of the cups that were a bit bunchy on the loosest setting. It fit great then and the cup padding smoothed out! But the nice part is…it has 6 sizes so as the bra stretches I can still tighten the back. (Unlike my cheap-0 bra that fit well at first but stretched so much even the tightest setting was hopeless.)
- Straps are a tad grippy, so they won’t slip off shoulders.
- This is not a bra that I would categorize as a sexy bra. Nope, very plain looking. But, Cake Maternity does sell those kind of nursing bras if you want!
- I don’t like wearing this to bed. Any bra that is supportive enough in the day for me just feels too tight at night.
Does it catch milk?
Yes! I don’t have a huge oversupply of milk so not sure how this would be for those of you who drip a ton though. The padding is thicker and covers more of the breast than what I’m used to. I like that! I’ve had nursing bras that have little tiny circles for pads and can look funny under shirts…these pads from the Cake Maternity Rock Candy nursing bra are not like that.
Is it machine washable?
Yes! It can be machine washed on cool. No time for hand washing bras here.
Getting the correct size
Here is the link to getting the best fit for their bras, and all you need is a measuring tape. This particular bra comes in S, M, or L. I’d use the measuring table below get your updated size. I’m a 32D and the S is great, so long as I tighten the band a bit to smooth out the tiny gap in the cups by my armpit. Once you know your size, they have a chart to tell you if you are S, M, or L.
Getting rid of the nasty ones
NO ONE loves to feel saggy after having a baby, right?? I’m not crazy? After I got rid of my old nasty stretched out nursing bra, I also got rid of my bright fuchsia stretched out sports bra. Constantly pulling it down to nurse just stretched them out, and so none of my sports bras kept the support I wanted.
If you have been debating about getting just one good bra, I will say I liked this Cake Maternity Rock Candy nursing bra enough to spend my own money to get a second. Check out the Cake Maternity Rock Candy nursing bra for your next one. I am excited to see if the reviews hold true about this bra’s good quality over time. I’ve read time and time again that Cake Maternity bras last longer without stretching out or breaking, so I hope to see that’s true and will update this in a few months with how it’s going!
Update: I’ve had this bra for 8 months now and still wear it as my main bra. The best part is that it still fits tightly around my chest, and has not stretched out. This is the only nursing bra I’ve tried that I can say that about. On the down side, I find the removable padding to have gotten a bit clumpy over time. This is in part that the padding actually has had the smooth layer come off of both sides, leaving just the thin foam pad so it is hard to lay smooth and flat in the bra now. I’m very happy with the lifespan of this bra and probably after 8 months of solid wear and washes it’s just time for another.